Kim Jaggers

Kim Jaggers
click here to visit Kim's website

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

When God can... but what if He doesn't?

If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us from Your Majesty’s hand. But even if he does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.
Daniel 3:17-18


Have you ever wished that God would just speak in an audible voice and tell you what to do, what choice to make? I have been so desperate to know His will that I have even fussed “If God told me to go to Ninevah (like He did Jonah of Whale fame) I would go!” But honestly, sometimes I have struggled more when I have clearly known what God wanted me to do, I obeyed and then He didn’t do what I thought He should do. Jonah did the same thing… he obeyed God and then expected Him to destroy the evil Ninevites… but God didn’t and Jonah sat pouting under a plant. (You can read the account in the short book of Jonah). I have been like that so often. Have you? What do you do when God doesn’t do what you think He should do? What do you do when you obey something hard and He does something you don’t like? Do you turn away and pout? Do you pull away from God because He doesn’t behave the way you expect Him to? I know I sure have at times.

But honestly, if God is all good, all knowing, and working things out for our best… does He really have to explain Himself? Is He really God if we can treat Him like a vending machine…”I do this and You do this God”? Isn’t true submission to His Lordship when we can come to the point of saying… “I can’t predict You. I can’t control You. I don’t have to have You explain Yourself. I know You can… but even if you don’t, You are God and I am not and I will trust and obey” That is some hard faith but the kind of faith that helps us walk through the fiery trials of this life. It is the kind of faith that prompted Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-Nego (Daniel 3) to tell the King, as they were being thrown into the fire, “Our God can deliver us but even if He doesn’t’ we will still serve Him (paraphrased)”. This kind of faith brings freedom and defeats fear. This kind of “He-is-God and I-am-not-faith” is real and life-changing.

Do you want this kind of boldness, this kind of peace despite your circumstances? You can have it… but you have to get out of the way and daily give God everything—including your expectations of what He will do when you obey. If you can count on Him for eternity… you can count on Him even when you don’t understand exactly what He is doing. Give it all to Him. Let Him be Lord of all your life… and get ready to see His goodness and His deliverance as never before!

Father, I love you. I know I have often given You a list of requests expecting certain answers. Help me to “take my hands of the wheel” and let You drive…even when You don’t tell me where we are going. I can’t predict You. I know I can’t control You and if I could… You wouldn’t be my Lord. So take it all Jesus… even my expectations of “how things should be”. I want more of You and all the peace, hope and joy that comes from a life submitted to You. I know You are all good and I trust You. Help me to trust you more. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment