Kim Jaggers

Kim Jaggers
click here to visit Kim's website

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Big Hair, Journey and the Apostle Paul

You are not restricted by us, but you are restricted by your own affections.
2 Cor 6:12

Big Hair and the band Journey marked my high school days…. But who knew Journey and the Apostle Paul had something in common? Those of you as “young”(ha! Ha!) as I am can probably belt the lyrics to “Who’s Crying Now” including the verse “How can something “good” hurt so bad?” As this song depicts, we often call things “good” which are really causing us pain and Apostle Paul says we are often restricted by our own affections. A friend of mine recently noted that it is human nature to return to things which comfort us…even if that “comfort” is really something not good for us. Don’t you know it is true? Just think about it… how often have you felt down and reached for a big bowl of ice cream? Once during a pity party I decided I should forego the ice cream and just eat an entire jar of hot fudge sauce…talk about something good hurting so bad! Yuck!

But as believers we have access to the God of ALL COMFORT (2 Cor 1:3) and He is real comfort! He will not hurt us later or cause us to have regrets. Another song (not by Journey) says “Oh what needless pain we bear, all because we do not carry, everything to God in prayer” Believers have a full-time -24 hour counselor called the Holy Spirit God...do you run to Him? He stands with open arms and calls you “His beloved” and says, you can “rest secure in Him” (Deut 33:12). The One who suffered for us all tells us real comfort in the midst of suffering is this—that His promises will preserve our lives (Ps 119:50). God (not ice cream, not shopping, not romance, not drugs, not the-perfect-fixed-life) and His promises are enough to keep us going and comfort us.

But one more thing from this former big-hair, Journey girl – Can I just mention… it is hard to be comforted and stand on promises that you don’t know. The Most High God has promised you some things which will comfort you. Do you know what they are? Do you know Who He is? He calls Himself “faithful and true” (Rev 19:11)…and His promises and His comfort can absolutely be counted on. Go ahead… open His living Word and see what He has for you today. It will not return void. Don’t take my word for it. He says so Himself in Isaiah 55:11.

Father, You know me. You know my nature to run to everything else before I run to you. Oh Lord, forgive me. Draw me close. You say that those who seek you find you. I need to find you before I run to more things that cause me pain. I need to know more of your promises. I want your comfort, strength, peace, hope and joy. Oh Lord, release me from those things which have caused me pain for so long and help me to know and walk in the truth of your promises. I know you love me. Help me to know you and love you more and more. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment