Kim Jaggers

Kim Jaggers
click here to visit Kim's website

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Forgetting to be Faithful

forgetting those things which are behind
Phil 3:13

Part of being faithful is forgetting. No, I didn’t say “forgiving”… I said “forgetting” and the “ing” part is very important here. The Apostle Paul, who lived an amazing, faith-filled-life, is wonderful at telling us how we can live this kind of life as well. In his famous passage about “the prize of Christ Jesus”, Paul tells us part of walking out our faith involves a daily, on-going effort of forgetting. Paul did not say “forget” what is behind – he said “forgetting”. God purposefully inspired Paul to use a present tense word because He knows we need Him present-tensely every day!

In order to walk in freedom and live out our faith in a way that blesses others and brings us joy, hope and peace, God calls us over and over to take an active part—in this case “actively forgetting”. He knows our tendencies to rest on our past successes or stay stuck in our past failures so much that we are little present good. He knows He could tell us to forget and move on… but He also knows our minds tend to go right back there given the next opportunity. Instead, God tells us to be in a state of “forgetting” so the past (good or bad) does not prevent us from living this day to see all the new things God will do and do through us.

So what does “actively forgetting” look like? It means I acknowledge the tendency I have to live in the past. I don’t rest on my successes no matter my age or how long I have walked with Christ. I keep moving forward expecting God to do new, great things. If I have nothing new to add to my testimony, I have a problem because we serve an amazing God who constantly wants to work in and through us. This also means I don’t wallow in my failures and allow the enemy to hold me down with things God has already forgiven. Yes, you may have messed up but what Satan intends for evil God uses for good all the time when we repent and give it to Him. The question is: Are you ready for the new things God will do? Are you daily forgetting those things which are behind and expecting God to do new things? He is ready… are you?

Father- Thank you for forgiving me for so many things. I know the enemy wants to hold me down by reminding me of when I have failed you. Help me to take those thoughts captive and walk forward in the grace you have offered. Thank you for all you have done in my life…the mountaintop experiences. I cherish those things and my faith has grown because of it. But Father, I know you have new things to do in my life and you aren’t done writing my testimony. Please help me to not “rest” in yesterday’s successes. I know you aren’t done with me yet. I love you Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment