Kim Jaggers

Kim Jaggers
click here to visit Kim's website

Thursday, January 5, 2012

God's Favor

Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil.” Job 1:8


We all cheer when we see the “Tim Tebows” of our world--believers who give God the glory for the winning touch down, the lucrative job, business success, talented beautiful kids, long-lasting relationships and all the other things which seem to reflect God’s favor on our lives. It just seems natural to equate the appearance of things going well with God’s favor. Yet, I wonder if there isn’t a level of God’s favor which surpasses the favor we so readily attribute to those who are experiencing success. I wonder if God favors most those who He trusts with the failure, the loss, the sickness…the hard, gut-wrenching things. “Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil.” Job 1:8. It is often because of the trial, the pain, the tragedy that those God favors, that those God trusts with the hard road, bring Him the most glory.

It is human nature to look at our lives and compare them to others. I have often imagined how I could give God glory and support ministry if he gave me a million dollars or if my child could play football like Tim Tebow. Yet, I am surrounded by saints who have seen their lives devastated by cancer, by job loss, and by loss of loved ones. I stand in awe as they call God “good” and tell me how much they love Him as their weakened bodies falter, their finances crumble, or their long-held dreams crash to the ground. I can’t help but think what favor God must have for those He trusts with such hard things. As I talk with them, one thing is common among them all…they live their lives knowing this life is not their home. They remember, like Job did, that this “life is but a breath” (Job 7:7). They seem energized by the opportunity to give God glory and point others to Him – this side of Heaven. Their pain is real, their days are hard, yet their hope is in a steadfast, faithful God; and His favor must surely rest on them as it did on Job.

I don’t know if this day will bring you happiness or pain, health or sickness, financial blessing or loss…but I do know this day is a chance to give God glory. I know holding onto Him is the only best way to find peace that surpasses all understanding (Phil 4:7). I know we can be “more than conquerors” because Jesus loves us (Rom 8:37). We all have a choice when life says “fall apart”. Those who have been trusted with the hard, those who are favored by God can choose to believe God, live in His strength, and give Him glory…or miss the wonderful opportunity to see Him and point others to Him so they can see Him as He is -- more than faithful.

Next month, I will be speaking in New Jersey. One of the dear women on the leadership team for the event is walking a heart-breaking, hard road. Her godly husband, the love of her life, has been told his cancer has returned and there is little the doctors can do. Below is a prayerful poem he penned upon the news. What glory his words bring to our faithful Father. May we all be encouraged to look at our trials and find our God faithful as well.

Returning Menace

Though the cancer has returned, so much from God I’ve learned,
Not from the reading of His Truth, but, my life is His living proof,
Of my Lord’s Power and Grace, granting strength place to place,
Going through every trial and test, in the Lord Jesus I found rest,
Rest which only God could give, as through that trial I would live.

I learned, in God, just how I can, put my trust In God, even when,
Life situations turn for the worst, when I look to Christ Jesus first,
Especially when days were dark, God’s Grace always left a mark,
Sustaining me in grace and power, even through the darkest hour,
This as God proved in my life, a sustaining power of Jesus Christ.

In spite of cancer I’ve had health, which provides a greater wealth,
Far exceeding temporal prosperity, with gain acquired for eternity,
As His Grace is more than rife, working out His Purpose in my life,
Using my life just as God wills, while His Purpose The Lord fulfills,
And my cancer isn’t the story, but, God’s Grace, Power and Glory.

So, as my path again has turned, I will lean upon what I’ve learned,
My total health may not be restored, but, I’ll always have The Lord,
Who, as He helps me understand, guides me with His gentle Hand,
In things I cannot comprehend, as my present life draws to an end,
With ahead a glorious destiny, when with Christ, I step into Eternity.

(Copyright ©12/2011 Bob Gotti)

You can read more poems from Arlene and Bob’s faithful journey at www.poeticpulpit.com

No comments:

Post a Comment