Kim Jaggers

Kim Jaggers
click here to visit Kim's website

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Knocked down from my "High Horse"

If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!
Matt 7:11

Have you ever had one of those rare conversations with your child where you felt like you “hit a home run”? Where you seemed to exude parental wisdom, impart Scripture, and even feel like your child “got it”. Have you swelled with pride only to be promptly knocked off your high horse when just a little later you find yourself living the lesson you just taught? Surely, someone knows what I am talking about!

Recently, one of my kids came to me to tell me he was praying to be more Christ-like in his behavior. A few days later, he was lied to by a friend. He was hurt and angry. After talking through his emotions and reminding him of his prayer request, I shared with him how God rarely just gives us attributes of Christ instantaneously when we ask; but instead gives us the opportunities to stretch into exhibiting them. We talked about how this situation was his opportunity to show forgiveness, to not “repay evil for evil” and to be more Christ-like. Sounds like a great day, right? It was until later that same day when I found myself aggravated by a situation which surely required more patience and self-control than any woman should have to exhibit! To be honest, I was just about ready to let the offending party “have it”, …and then… I heard …the awful sound of my own words ringing in my ears! I remembered my “son’s” lesson. Quite humbled, I caught myself before I reacted and smiled up at God thanking Him for the timely reminder. You see, I had been praying for more patience and self-control, and God had answered my prayer with an opportunity to develop those fruits of the Spirit. I am a slow learner, but God has taught me so much as I teach my children. He has put a “holy whack” to things in me which are not like His Son, and, let me tell you, He has many more things to work on. I wish I could tell you I always recognize the lesson during the lesson, but I am getting better at it and more thankful for it.

God is a patient Father who loves us perfectly. Being an imperfect parent and loving my kids like crazy only gives me a glimpse of how much our Heavenly Father loves us. Because He wants us to “get it” I am very sure He will keep sending the lessons until we do. I know He will because He loves us too much to leave us like we are. God only and always wants what is best for His children….and it sure helps to remember this when the lessons come. One thing I know-- the sooner we learn to recognize trials as opportunities to be more like His Son---the more peace, joy, and hope we will experience… and the less trouble we will get into with God and others! Just think, if we want what is best for our kids, if we want peace, hope and joy for them… don’t you know God wants it even more for each of us.

Prayer: Father, I know you have opportunities for me to learn some things and be more like your Son. Help me to see the lesson during the lesson. Help me to recognize the hurt, the aggravation, the unkindness, the day-that-didn’t-go-my-way as an opportunity to grow to be more like your Son. Thank you Lord for your patience. Thank you for loving me and not leaving me like I am. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment