Kim Jaggers

Kim Jaggers
click here to visit Kim's website

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Eighty-year-old slides to third

I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.
Phil 1:20-21

Dressed in crisp white pants, a button down and polished dress shoes-- he was looking good. Forgetting his spiffy attire, the competitive side of my Dad took over as he joined the family wiffle ball game. Though arthritis has taken over, he easily smacked a good hit and ran with the graceful stride of a former college athlete. The throw was quick as Dad passed second and headed to third base. He had to beat that throw. I couldn’t believe my eyes as my eighty-year-old father slid into third! He slid! Kids and grandchildren surrounded him as he lay there a moment. He got up with a limp and a smile and no one dared suggest he was anything but safe.

I lay in bed that night pondering what my Dad had done. It is funny that some things are so a part of who we are that we don’t think twice before we act on those traits. For Dad, years of practice, focus, and love-of-the-game still dictate his behavior—despite his age. It just comes natural.

I want to have that kind of behavior-dictating passion about Jesus. I want it to come natural. I want passion that is so a part of who I am that I act like a Christian without even thinking. I want to have the kind of passion that throws caution to the wind and just lives to give glory to the Savior. I want to love the unlovely without thinking they are unlovely. I want to serve others without a thought of self. I want to boldly stand for the cause of Christ without considering the costs. I don’t want to hesitate. I don’t want to consider my safety, my happiness or my bank account. I want Jesus to be so a part of me that every word, every deed, every thought is of Him and for Him. I want Jesus to live so strongly in me that He dictates my behavior in such a natural way that others see Him and not me.

Prayer: Father, May your will be done in everything I do. May my words and my deeds point others to you. I owe you everything and I love you. May my love for you only grow stronger and may that love flow into the lives of others so that they may know you and give you glory. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment