Kim Jaggers

Kim Jaggers
click here to visit Kim's website

Thursday, September 6, 2012


 


For to me to live is Christ and to die is gain

Phil 1:21

 

 

A few weeks ago, I stood surrounded by row after row of white tombstones at Arlington National Cemetery, yet my tear-filled eyes stayed fixed on the solitary, flag-draped coffin sitting atop the horse-drawn carriage.   The Air Force band played, soldiers stood in solemn salute, and the air space over our nation’s capital was shut down, so a B-1 Bomber could be flown over in honor of the General, my hero-cousin, Ron Henderson.   Six four-star generals attended his funeral, and many spoke in awe of his accomplishments, the greatest of which-- the way he died.   This star-of-our-family, soldier died fighting the good fight, but not on some distant shore.  He died slowly, painfully before friends, family and coworkers; and day after day, visibly wasting away, he continued to go to work at the Pentagon.  Ron’s coworker and fellow general recalled how person after person had come to him and asked why Ron, so visibly wasting away with cancer and gripped by pain would still come to work.  He remarked, “One day I just asked him”.  To this Ron responded, “I used to have to go to people to share my faith.   Now they are coming to me.   I have to be here for that next knock on the door”.  

 

Although my cousin accomplished so much in his life: rising from a daring pilot who put the B-1 on the map, to a commanding General overseeing operations around the world; Ron lived and died with his eye constantly on the only prize that matters. The General was called to many battles, but he called cancer his “great calling”.  His funeral verse was Phil 1:21 “For to me to live is Christ and to die is gain”.   To live for Ron was always an opportunity to point to Jesus Christ, and in dying, Jesus was truly his gain.   He called his Savior “faithful beyond words and worthy to be praised”. 

 

Ron would hate the accolades.  He would tell you he was just an ordinary man.  But Ron was an ordinary man always pointing to an extraordinary God…waiting for that next “knock” on the door.  I wonder are you and I intently listening for that next “knock’?   We live in a world desperately in need of a Savior.   Will they see Jesus in us?   Will we use each moment --even the hard ones, how about just the inconvenient ones, to point to Christ?   Will we look at this life as Ron did-- as a breath, but will our every breath be to give glory to our Lord?   Will we be able to face death with hope because we know we trade these failing earthly bodies for Heaven and Jesus?   I know you are busy.   I’m busy.   But this life is our one shot.   Does your heart break for the lost?  Aren’t you tired of sitting idly by passing person after person desperately trying to live life without a Savior and facing eternity in Hell without Him?  Won’t you join the fight?   Will you live, will you die for the One who died for you?    Oh, He is worth it.   To really live… is Christ.   To die is gain! And that is peace for a crazy, hard world!

 

Prayer:  Oh Lord, Only in You can pain be turned to praise.  Only in You can the lost find hope.  Only in You can death be finally defeated.  Oh Father, break the chains which hold me back from living my life so others can see You.   Break my heart for the lost.  Help me to love those around me enough to mention your Name.   Help me to remember each day is my chance to give you glory… and oh, Jesus how I owe you glory!   Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment